How disappointing that Derbyshire's Labour Party are continuing their scaremongering tactics over the future of youth services in Derbyshire.
When in reality we are finalising our plans for a bigger and better youth service that delivers what young people want.
We had our biggest ever consultation with young people and we’ve listened to what they had to say. They were clear about wanting more activities and clear about when and where they wanted them.
Our new plans – which we will publish in June – will do just that. It will mean:
- more young people will be involved in more youth activities at more venues than ever before;
- youth activities will be available when young people want them – at weekends and school holidays – as well as during the week;
- no youth centres or activities will be closed without suitable alternatives provided;
- new flexible contracts for youth workers to help avoid compulsory redundancies;
- closer working with volunteers and groups who have contacted us and a £250,000 fund to help them expand their activities.
We are planning the biggest transformation of youth services for over 30 years. Unlike Labour we need to move with the times and deliver modern and improved services that young people want to use.
Our £10 million spending on activities for young people will continue to make Conservative controlled Derbyshire County Council one of the top providers of youth services in the country.